Announcement

#1 2024-04-03 22:27:35

cdober
2023-12-27

Manual install goes to blank page (extreme novice user)

Hello/Hi/Greetings,

Trying to manual install v14.3, it seems that no matter what I do clicking Start yields a blank white page (not real useful).

I am as noted above an extreme novice with web anything - and the "host" box does leave me a bit uncertain. Is it "Hostgator?, cPanel login?, web site address?, mile long database address I got from Hostgator, what?  I've tried several things without success, so I don't know if that's it or not.  I'd post an image of the dialog box if it was easier...

Thanks in advance from a very frustrated hopeful user...

cdo

#2 2024-04-04 02:01:54

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Manual install goes to blank page (extreme novice user)

We don't know what you are seeing on a blank page that would be a host box, so an image uploaded to some image hoster and linked here might help.
Blank pages can be any web server failure, check your server and PHP log files, or ask your hosting provider.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2024-04-04 16:27:54

cdober
2023-12-27

The "Host" box is the first entry for database configuration in the Piwigo Installation dialog.

The blank white page is what results when I click "Start Installation" at the bottom of the page. I have tried several different entries for "Host" as I'm uncertain what's needed there. All result in the blank page.

I'd post an image of the blank page if I thought it would provide some value, but here's an image below of the Install dialog (without any entry in "Host")-

Thanks again for any assistance you can provide.

cdo

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/gqbpbejb1hwjxazsv8odo/Piwigo-14.3.0-Installation.png?rlkey=00zauidotv0co5h17x77jzaew&dl=0   I hope that works...

#4 2024-04-05 10:20:54

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Ah now I get it, the installation page's database configuration Host field. `localhost` could be fine if the MySQL database server is running on the same machine/IP as the web server, but that's something only you or your hosting provider could definitely answer. It could be the "mile long database address" you mentioned earlier. If in doubt ask them.

Still, if after clicking Start Installation only a blank page appears, check your web server and PHP log files for that moment if there are any entries that could shed some light.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#5 2024-04-05 18:26:04

cdober
2023-12-27

erAck,  I went back at it one more time and plugged in all the same entries, hit Start, and received a bizarre result... 
It installed. 

I'm at a loss for why now and not before, but I'm not going to argue with it.

Thanks for your input - I appreciate it.  I'm sure I'll be back as I proceed with setting everything up but I'm happy to at least have it installed.  Now to plow through all the menus and configurations and upload about 20,000 images.

Have a good day!

cdo

Board footer