Announcement

#16 2024-03-13 14:41:36

macstrat
2016-05-10

Re: Unable to sort FTP uploaded albums

erAck wrote:

Because many people already have their photos organized in folders before they start with Piwigo? Also, bulk uploading to a server or doing it scripted is easier via sftp/scp/rsync/whatever.

gueba wrote:

... So whats the benefit of physical albums ...

You're joking?

Did you ever hear of a clean logical folder-file-structure and proper file-naming?

This is ironic seeing as how this was the functionality I was trying to preserve that kicked off this whole thread in the first place. Yet it still seems to come down to a choice between uploading presorted folders or duplicating the folder structure with virtual albums that allow versatility in their handling. If there are plugins and built-in functionality to move, delete, and modify files/directories, and upload entire file trees, then why not allow that functionality to apply to physical albums? Like placing several physical albums inside a virtual one. That way you wouldn't be modifying the directory structure, just the location of the files in the database.

I've used the Piwigo hosting here for years, which doesn't allow for FTP uploading, only bulk uploading via the uploader or script. So everything I have done has been through the virtual albums. I set up a sandbox to test out self-hosting and ran into these issues. Additionally, the documentation doesn't describe that you don't have the organizational versatility of virtual albums when you use physical albums so we have been troubleshooting a function that doesn't actually exist.

Last edited by macstrat (2024-03-13 14:43:39)

#17 2024-03-13 22:23:43

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

I use all physical folders because, like mentioned above, I like keeping my own folder/organization structure. I'll virtually "link" photos into other folders if that makes sense, but other than that don't have use for virtual folders and the messy "uploads" folder. :)

macstrat wrote:

If there are plugins and built-in functionality to move, delete, and modify files/directories, and upload entire file trees, then why not allow that functionality to apply to physical albums.

Check out my [extension by windracer] Physical Photo Move if you want to move physical photos/albums around (without losing all the metadata and needing to re-sync).

Last edited by windracer (2024-03-13 22:26:03)

#18 2024-03-14 13:41:13

macstrat
2016-05-10

windracer wrote:

I use all physical folders because, like mentioned above, I like keeping my own folder/organization structure. I'll virtually "link" photos into other folders if that makes sense, but other than that don't have use for virtual folders and the messy "uploads" folder. :)

Check out my [extension by windracer] Physical Photo Move if you want to move physical photos/albums around (without losing all the metadata and needing to re-sync).

This is interesting. does it change the album numbers? My site is about playing card scans, so its less about single photos and more about the collection of images as a whole deck (each album is a deck). The album numbers are very important becasue it allows people to link to the Deck as a whole and not the single images of the cards.

#19 2024-03-15 01:01:44

windracer
St. Pete, FL
2014-12-28

macstrat wrote:

This is interesting. does it change the album numbers?

No, it just physically moves the files/folders (photos/albums) on the file system and updates the database tables accordingly. All the Piwigo metadata (tags, description, ids, etc.) stay the same, so links all remain valid.

Like I said I exclusively use physical albums so I use my own extension a lot. ;-)

Board footer