Announcement

#1 2023-10-05 19:22:41

tsukiakari
2023-10-05

Disable privacy levels or user groups?

Hello!

I just installed Piwigo and it's great! I'm having a bit of an issue with security though.

For a simple user like me who has created the platform to share images among a few friends, the combination of privacy levels and user group security is burdensome and unnecessarily complicated.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, there's a check for both the privacy levels (applied to photos) and the user groups (applied to albums). I'd like to use just groups for users and disable the privacy levels, as they're confusing and frustrating for me to use. Or, I'd be fine using just the privacy levels and not the groups, but I don't see a way to configure the privacy levels. The point is just that I don't need both.

The workarounds seem to be:
1. Set all the photos to a single privacy level and put all users at that level effectively disabling it, which would allow using just the groups.
Or
2. Assign all users to a single group and give access to all albums efectively disabling it, which would allow using just the privacy levels.

Am I missing something or is there another way to just disable the functionality of one or the other?
(And is there a way to rename and change rights for privacy levels? I'm really confused about what each one is and the documentation seems kinda poor.)

Thanks!

Environment:
Piwigo 13.8.0
Installed on 4 October 2023, 20 hours ago
Operating system: Linux
PHP: 8.1.17 (Show info) [2023-10-05 10:21:02]
MySQL: 8.0.28-0ubuntu0.20.04.3 [2023-10-05 10:21:02]
Graphics Library: ImageMagick 6.9.7-4

#2 2023-10-05 20:29:54

erAck
Only trying to help
2015-09-06

Re: Disable privacy levels or user groups?

Where is the problem? Keep the default Everybody privacy level, make albums private, give groups access to albums, assign users to groups. Forget privacy level unless you want to use it to restrict access to individual images even within an otherwise accessible album. If you want you can give groups or single users a higher privacy level to access those, but you don't have to use it at all.

Running Piwigo at https://erack.net/gallery/

#3 2023-10-05 20:40:12

tsukiakari
2023-10-05

Re: Disable privacy levels or user groups?

This will work. Thanks!

Maybe I was overthinking it--I used to work on user security on some SAP products. >.<

Board footer