Announcement

#1 2010-05-04 13:02:38

mediapuck
usa till nov - then Austria
2010-04-23

is there a better administration navigation?

not for the left side navigation but for the "Category Management":
when I do manual sort order, after it is saved I have only one choice but to use the left navigation to go all the way to the very front Category.
Does not make sense if one has several subcategories deep.
There should at least be a link to "up, or previous etc]

I checked with extensions and plugins, there is nothing, and even if there was, it's not for the 2.09 version. The majority of plugins don't work anymore with the 2.09

Am not so sure at this point if I can use the 2.09 version of piwigo for a massive site.

It's not really easy to overview. [example: elements show the thumbnail, but no name, file name or whatever one chose, so hard to tell, if there are some extreme similar images, no way to tell them apart]

I realize that I am just getting used to a so very different system, and for sure know as of yet rather little about it, so, I have to ask questions.
But after uploading for a few hours straight, I do NOT have an easy overview of it, with pages and pages of thumbs per album.

Another question I have: will the next version have a better user view menu? I have so far only 3 levels deep subs, and can now barely see whats there in the menu, because it opens ALL, ergo I have an endless long page because of the navigation

#2 2010-05-04 13:08:24

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

Re: is there a better administration navigation?

mediapuck wrote:

Am not so sure at this point if I can use the 2.09 version of piwigo for a massive site.

2.1 version will be released quite soon.
You might want to wait for it, as it brings real improvments in the administration interface.

My galleries : Photos, Watercolours, Recipes

#3 2010-05-04 14:50:14

mediapuck
2010-04-23

thanks 'Tosca' - you are quick to answer and I really appreciate this.

will there be also a admin feature to recreate thumbnails? That would really help. I realize that I need and want the current 128px thumbs smaller, and have yet to figure out a way to do it. It's not doing it with quick synchronization, since no thumbs are missing.

Or could it be, if I delete all thumbs via ftp, that I will then have to create thumbs new anyway? or could that screw royally with the database?

appreciate your feedback.

Boy, am ever so ready to upgrade, downloaded the prep upgrade file already.
It might be worth for me to upgrade now - yes, it's production server, but am testing it really right now with private image collections.
Would already have done the upgrade, but could not find documentation on the procedure yet.

#4 2010-05-04 15:00:54

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

mediapuck wrote:

I need and want the current 128px thumbs smaller, and have yet to figure out a way to do it. It's not doing it with quick synchronization, since no thumbs are missing.

Or could it be, if I delete all thumbs via ftp, that I will then have to create thumbs new anyway? or could that screw royally with the database?

I don't know which procedure you used to upload your pictures and create you thumbnails ... IF you used FTP, you can delete the thumbnails and re-upload smaller ones; I'm not even sure you'll need to re-synchronize.

mediapuck wrote:

Would already have done the upgrade, but could not find documentation on the procedure yet.

The documentation will be the last thing to be readied, as it has to take every last modification/fix into account.

#5 2010-05-04 15:38:53

mediapuck
2010-04-23

again, thanks for the reply.
yes, I use ftp exclusively. The thumbnails are autmatically build when I synchronize. Ergo my assumption if piwigo does suddenly not find any thumbnails [because if I delete them via ftp, but leave the large images] it should and probably will instantly present me with the error that it cannot find any thumbnails, that would then be the way to tell it to synchronize, even if the quicky does not work, the site admin should work.

I had uploaded ca 490 images at once, went to thumbnails, and saw the error that there no thumbs, that was the way I simply had piwigo [image magik/G... built them. It only did about 300 of them, then bucked.
I logged out, gave it 2 minutes, refreshed, logged back in, did first a db clean/optimize, then thumbs again and it took the rest and created the thumbs just fine then.

So - the assumption is probably justified, that it will work if thumbs are deleted via ftp.

I'll go ahead an do, worst what could happen, that I have to drop the large images and upload them again.

#6 2010-05-04 15:49:09

tosca
Former Piwigo Team
Cévennes (France)
2006-09-23

We don't advise to generate the thumbnails automatically with Piwigo when you have large volumes, as it requires a lot of server power (unless you have a dedicated server, of course).

The most recommended method is to prepare the thumbnails locally, then upload them to the server, as you do with the main pictures.

Board footer